History of the Riverview Missionary Baptist Church
In 1924 a group of men and women led by the late Rev. William Goldwire organized a prayer band and began to worship in a little white-washed shanty on Route 144. The land was donated by Sutton and Suderly Brick Company. Two years later, Rev. Stroud, Rev. Staton and Rev. Williams, who were laborers at the brick-yard, joined the weekly prayer services. The brickyard proprietor, Mr. Suderly, heard of these weekly prayer meetings and suggested that the group choose a piece of land and build a church building. The present site was selected and the land was purchased.
A group of men from South Boston, Virginia (all brick-yard laborers), led by Mr. J.E. Farmer, Mr. Frank Ballou, and Mr. Newman, made plans to build the present building with bricks donated by Suderly & Powell and Minnock Brick Company. Sister Susie Moton, Sister Maria Goldwire and Sister Anna Coleman gave one dollar to start the first building fund. On completion of the church building, it was then organized to function by the Rev. Greys, who was pastor of the Morning Star Baptist Church in Albany. It was at this time the church was named Riverview Baptist Church.
In August, 1926, the late Rev. John W. Stroud was elected Pastor. The church was incorporated the same year. The ministerial staff included Rev. Goldwire, Rev. Butler, and Rev. Pleasant Randolph.
Rev. Staggers pastured the church from August, 1931 to 1946. The congregation added a parsonage and paid the pastor a salary. The church also joined the newly formed Upper Hudson River Association under the founder of the late Rev. Moses Sipico Hunter.
In 1947 the church called Rev. Samuel B. Sutton as its Pastor. During his pastorate he expanded the building and added a baptistery. He was well known in the community. In 1968, the church called Rev. Saul Williams. From 1974 to 1979 Rev. Major McGuire served as its pastor. Afterward the church called Rev. William V. Callahan in 1980. After eleven years of pastoring Riverview, Rev. Callahan was called to glory. Rev. Richard Butler served as Riverview’s pastor from 1994-1998. Then the church called Rev. Allan Williams, who served from 1998 to November, 2009.
In December, 2009 the church asked Rev. Antonio and Rev. Dr. Roxanne Booth to serve as Co-Pastors on an interim basis. In November, 2010 the church voted to call the Booths as Co-Pastors on a permanent basis. They were installed March 26, 2011. Pastor Roxanne grew up in Riverview, was baptized and ordained at this church. This was the first time that the church called a woman and one of its daughters as its pastor. To God be the glory for the great things he is doing!